- The Science Commons is designed and built to take full advantage of the natural resources such as solar gain and wind.
- Based on the weather data, natural ventilation is possible at least 50 per cent of the time with some preconditioning through the building’s natural ventilation instruments.
- When the building is in natural ventilation mode office sliding windows can be open to circulate fresh air.
- By adopting such green measures, the building will be 40 per cent more energy efficient than any science facility of its kind.
Daylight and integrated shading
- Connecting building occupants to exterior views and sunlight increases productivity, creativity and the general well-being.
- The Science Commons was designed to maximize the sunlight gains and decrease energy consumption.
- Approximately, 80 per cent of the spaces in the Science Commons are natural daylight driven in different capacities.
- The building takes advantage of sunlight through floor to ceiling windows, and interior glass walls in order to maximize natural light penetration.
Active lighting system:
- The new Science Commons is fully equipped with LED lights which are the most efficient form of lighting
- Many spaces within the building are equipped with motion sensors, which automatically turn off lights when motion isn’t detected in a space after a set period of time
- Spaces near the outside of the building contain light harvesting sensors that measure natural light and dim the lighting in the building accordingly to prevent energy waste.
High efficiency systems
- The new Science Commons is equipped with a great digital building management and control system that is used to monitor and automate all mechanical and ventilation activities
- The building management system is supported by an outstanding number of measure points that allow for greater control of all mechanical and ventilation activities.
- The outstanding control of the building activities maximizes energy efficiency and provide great savings to energy bill.
- The Wintergarden takes advantage of the south facing sun exposure to pre-heat the air entering the buildings ventilation system.
- The temperature in this space is only regulated by Venetian blinds and opening windows. It can get as cold as 5 degrees before air is drawn in from the rest of the building to heat up this space.
- The Wintergarden reduces energy costs significantly.
- This is the first time the university has used these energy saving strategies on campus.